Heather’s Ramblings

Archive for March 2008

In a previous post I rambled on about trying to decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, if you didn’t read it you can view it here.  Well, I have made the decision.  After a lot of phone tag I finally got in touch with the Vici Aveda school and after talking to the admissions officer and taking a tour I decided to attend the esthiology program there.  There are two main reasons I chose them over the Martin’s school in Madison.  Vici had openings in the April program where Martin I would have had to wait until June, Vici is also about $2000 less which is nothing to sneeze at.

So I have registered for school, and March 27th was my orientation.  At orientation we got homework and a school supply list.  I am such a nerd.  I had the homework done Thursday night and got my supplies picked up on Friday.  It is now Monday night and I start school tomorrow.  My bags are packed, all I have to do yet is pack my lunch and I am set to go.

I am very excited about going back to school but less excited about having to get up at 5:30 in order to get to school on time.  🙂  So wish me luck, and I’ll be sure to keep you all updated about my adventures in Esthiology school.

Last fall I decided that instead of just going to the farmers markets I was going to work on growing my own vegetables.  I started collecting seeds, set aside some potatoes to sprout, and bought and planted three different types of garlic.

A few weeks ago I was cleaning out the closet where I had set the potatoes in a paper bag to sprout.  I noticed the bag was wet so I pulled out the potatoes.  One had started to rot which was where the moisture came from.  I tossed the rotting one and decided to plant the rest before they started to rot too.  Here are the sprouting potatoes.

I put them in a plastic bin and set them in a window.  I wasn’t sure what would happen because I read that store bought potatoes didn’t tend to grow very well.  The potatoes were planted on March 8th.  On March 16th I checked the potatoes and found they had started growing already.

Then today I checked again.  If store bought potatoes don’t grow very well then I don’t think I want to see potatoes that do grow well.

Spring can’t come soon enough, I can’t wait until I can get these things in my garden.   I just hope I can keep them alive long enough for them to make it to my garden. 🙂

I didn’t make my end of February deadline but I did finally finish my project.  🙂

Here is the last section. Here  is the first wall, drylocked and painted, and the second wall drylocked.  I thought the second wall one was funny because you can see everything pulled away from the wall, it looks like my basement  exploded 🙂

Next, the area completed with everything moved back into place.  If you notice from the original post I have rearranged my torch area, including moving the vent to take out the 90 degree bend.

The bookshelf in the above picture is right next to the table in the picture next to it.  The fish tank contains a female El Rosario rosy boa.

As well as painting the walls I painted the glass rack.  I painted it using four different shades of blue, then drybrushed metallic silver over it and glued on rhinestones for sparkle.

I think it turned out cute.  It certainly looks much better than the plain particle board and plywood that it was before.

Needless to say, I am tired.  🙂

Well, I’ve been sadly neglecting my blog due to the basement taking over my life 🙂 It sort of feels like this past month when I wasn’t in the basement making beads I was in the basement working on the remodel. So I have a lot to catch you up on. The first two areas are completely done. Here are the finished pictures of the first section I had shown you.

What a difference a little color makes 🙂

Next, I worked on my box room. Here it is with the drylock, then the paint.

And now, here it is all done and reloaded.

Another dramatic difference 🙂 This was all done two weeks ago. Then I paused because I have a big bead show in April and I wanted to take some time to get things made for it.

This past week up to today I managed to get my glass rack painted and decorated, the last two walls drylocked and painted, and the ventilation for my torch moved. I finished the last of the painting an hour ago so this afternoon I will move the furntiture back to where it belongs and start organizing. In a day or two you will see my finished project. I can’t wait to see it myself. 🙂


Pages