Archive for October 2008
I have joined a group called Ornament Thursday. The last Thursday of the month we all blog about a particular theme and create something to go along with that theme. The theme for October is Gratitude.
I am tying my creation with the fact that October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month. I don’t have breast cancer and neither do my mother or sister, and I am unbelievably grateful for that. However, should I or a loved one of mine develop breast cancer I am very grateful for foundations like The Susan G. Komen Foundation and Army of Women. These two foundations are working to cure breast cancer and I hope you take the time to view these two sites and help in any way you can.
To demonstrate my gratitude I made a set of breast beads. The proceeds from the sale of the beads will go to The Army of Women. You can buy the beads on my website.
To see what the other Ornament Thursday participants are grateful for see the following links.
Cat’s Attitude of Gratitude
Michelle at http design has a fun take on gratitude – think about it – what do cats give you when they love you? Mice!
Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Cindy’s grateful for Ornament Thursday!
Linda shares her expression of gratitude
Of course there’s a story behind Linda’s shadowbox on the BeadStyleMag.com blog
There are so many ways to say thank you
Helen from http design puts wordle.net to work to create these earrings which say thank you in so many ways.
Michelle’s grateful for OT!
Lisa looks at the meaning of the word
Just some reflection this month
My friend Kaye Husko tagged me today. This tag works by my posting 7 facts about myself and then tagging 7 more crafty friends. So here we go –
1) I bowl in a Guys and Gals winter league. We bowl every other week so it goes from September to April.
2) I started a new job as an esthetician last week and really like it. I work at Oasis Salon and Spa in Watertown, WI, doing facials, body waxing, and makeup. I took my state board exams on the 7th and haven’t gotten the results back yet. I am going nuts to find out for sure if I passed, I’m sure I did but until I get confirmation I am going to continue to go nuts about it 🙂
3) I am a huge fan of Dr. Who and Torchwood. I also really like Top Gear. All three of these shows are on BBC America and sometimes it seems like we watch more British television than American television.
4) I am addicted to trying new artistic media. I am teaching myself oil painting and am starting to use borosilicate glass in my lampworking. Every time I go to the craft store something else reaches out to me and whispers “Try me, try me, you know you want me.” And I am weak, I give in to that voice quite frequently.
5) When I try a new artistic media I am not happy with it until I find a way to combine it with at least one other media I am already working with. Right now I’m combining my oil painting with polymer clay and glasswork.
6) My puppy Spike has decided that the trash is just a new toy box for him and it is driving me crazy. I have no idea how to get him to stop, this is not something my other dog Summer ever did so I am at a loss on how to deal with it. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
7) I spend way to much time on the computer. I like to chat with friends and play games, in addition to the computer work I do for my jewelry business and for my job. Sometimes I feel like the keyboard is attached to my fingers.
So, that is 7 things about me. Some you might know, some might be new to you. I am tagging the following friends –
Today’s topic is do you want to be me? The short answer is no.
The long answer is, sometimes I don’t even want to be me, instead, I want to be Jessica Alba. Why Jessica Alba? Why not? She’s rich, she’s beautiful, and she has millions of people who adore her.
Sure, I suppose Jessica doesn’t work in hot glass so she doesn’t get to watch the transformation of a solid, into a liquid, and back into a solid but in a completely different form than when it first started out.
She is also an actress which means she does her work far removed from her audience. I however, am an esthetician, and when I give a facial I am one on one with my client and get to watch them visibly relax and enjoy the experience. I get the immediate feedback that Jessica does not.
I also know for a fact that she doesn’t have my crew that loves and adores me and thinks I’m wonderful. I’m talking of course, about my darling husband who has been so supportive of me in both my artistic, educational, and career endeavors and my two dogs who think I am wonderful because I give them cookies and belly rubs. The three of them couldn’t care less about Jessica Alba.
So, when you look at it that way, my life isn’t all that bad. Which is good because I cannot be Jessica Alba, so I will have to be content to be me. Since I will continue to be me, you will just have to continue to be you, because I don’t think the world could handle two of me 🙂
And that my friends, is the very long answer to ‘Do you want to be me?’
I just wanted to share something I saw on the Today show this morning and then again on the nightly news. www.ArmyofWomen.org This is a group looking to match up women with breast cancer researchers. These researchers are looking for healthy women and women who have survived breast cancer to volunteer for studies on ways to prevent breast cancer. This is a cause near to my heart and I hope that you will read the site, agree with the cause, and join me in signing up to help. Together we can make a difference.